BJJ Blackbelt Brian McLaughlin shows an ankle pick from underhook. The ankle pick is a great takedown to add to your grappling repertoire because of its versatility and success rate if executed properly. Brian breaks down how to hit the takedown off the underhook position, although there are other ways to hit an ankle pick, which we’ll be going over another time.
1. Begin your ankle pick with an underhook and head position.
2. Head position means front of your head driving into the side of your partner’s. It can be anywhere from the temple to the side of the neck.
3. Control their head with a grip in between head and neck with opposite hand.
4. Drive into them until meeting resistance, then make sweeping motion toward underhook side and lower your level.
5. Grab ankle with off hand and make shot putting motion with underhook arm to hit the ankle pick.
1. Not getting head position. Makes it too far to reach.
2. Do not lower level without making opponent do it as well.
3. Have to bring opponent’s weight forward so it is over their knee after lowering level. Otherwise, they can kick their leg back.
Train with Brian in Poughkeepsie NY. Click here.